Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Starting to Teach by Faith

We recently finished a study of the life of Abraham in our Sunday School class at church. I was reminded of how Abraham's faith was not a passive faith, but an active one. He did not seek to "stay in his comfort zone." Instead, when he was called, he obeyed and "went out, not knowing where he was going" (Heb. 11:8).

This reminds me of when I graduated from college back in 1984. I signed a contract to teach in the fall at a Christian school in Minnesota. After purchasing a mobile home in Owatonna for $1100, my wife and I packed up our belongings in a horse trailer and headed for Minnesota, not knowing what the future would hold. By God's grace we stayed in Owatonna for 8 years, and at the end of those years God had blessed us with two children, no school debt, a new home, and a Master's degree in school administration.

How did this happen? No, I didn't get a large salary increase, nor am I a financial genius by any means. Rather, I have learned that God provides when I live and teach by faith.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mark!
    Andrew and I really enjoyed reading your post and it challenges us to have faith and trust in God in our daily lives! We hope to hear more soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your note, Sondra. I'm glad to hear that my testimony was an encouragement to you and Andrew. May God continue to guide and bless you and give you the strength to walk obediently and live by faith.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of the biggest blessings in life have come from taking that first step out of the comfort zone. It's not an easy one, but it's pretty amazing to watch Him work when we follow in obedience. Welcome to the blogging world...it's a fun one! Blessings! (And feel free to stop by my space if you'd like...http://barefootmel.com/)

    ReplyDelete